Tuesday, November 23, 2010

UnPreDiCtaBLe

Wow the weather is CRAZY! This past weekend we had absolutely GORGEOUS weather!  It was at least 80degrees and sunny on Friday, Saturday AND Sunday!  On Friday one of the teachers at the school brought us to Port Alfred to go to the beach and when we returned on Friday we had a Braai at the Wyvern which is Kingswood's restaurant/country club.  A braai is like a cookout/barbecue.  We had chicken, potato bake, salad, and bread; it was delicious :)

On Saturday we walked/shopped around Grahamstown and then went to my teacher's house to swim; once we got to her house though it soon became cloudy.  Sunday we went to one of our students' parents house for another braai.  We had the most delicious food and they taught us so much about the political aspect of South Africa as well as key places we must go to on our vacation.  On Sunday we also planned our two week vacation.  We are traveling to Cape Town and taking our time to get there and planned all of our stops along the way; we are SOO EXCITED!

So far this week, Monday and Tuesday, the weather has been chilly (probably low 60s, high 50s and rainy), yeah I know that is not chilly but coming off 80 degree weather it is!  Today (Tuesday) I went on an outing (field trip) with my grade 5s.  It was so great! We went to some students in my class' farm.  The first farm was a game farm and we went on a game drive.  We saw giraffe, a RHINO!, and buffalo. The buffalo was awesome because the students were able to pet the buffalo because the person who owns the farm can call them and approach them! It was CRAZY!

After that farm we went to another students' farm and we took a hike down into a beautiful valley.  We hiked to a cave and saw Bushman paintings (paintings from the first settlers).  It was really neat and the paintings were approximately over 15,000 years old!  I have attached the pictures.

That is the basic update.  I am also teaching as much as I am able and I am really getting along with my new cooperating teacher, she is fantastic.  She has such an active class and I have really learned a lot of new teaching strategies.  I can't believe next week is their last week of school.  It is going by so fast, but I still have a lot to look forward to.  I have been volunteering still at the Lebone Center and LOVING it.  I volunteer tomorrow and Thursday and then as much as I can next week, but their last day at the center is the 30th which is too bad because I really like spending time there.

Thanks Everyone Following :D


Students petting the WILD BUFFALO!


Giraffes are AWESOME!


Our view from our hike





Hiking :D


Do you see the handprint?  This is the Bushman painting.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Leah. I am glad you are learning a lot and enjoying yourself. We will miss you at Thanksgiving tomorrow. I should be able to setup Jenna's laptop so you can skype. I also wanted to give you an update on our competition. I think you are officially winning. Rae was very excited to get a birthday email from Auntie Leah and that she is getting a gift from South Africa. Then there is me: I forgot to call her when I got home tonight. I sent Rustin a text at 9:15 to see if she was still awake. Luckily she was. Then I went to put her on speaker phone so she could talk to the boys. Instead I hung up on her. Haha. I don't think she will let me forget it either. Haha. I love your pics. The scenery is beautiful. Enjoy your last week teaching and your 2 weeks traveling. Take lots of pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! I hope you are having a great week in South Africa! It sounds like such an incredible place and I really hope someday I will be able to travel there. You are doing so many cool things that I would love to be able to do!!! Love seeing your photos and hearing about all your experiences.
    I am heading to Dan's in a few minutes to celebrate Thanksgiving at his Mom's. We got a lot of snow last night and I am hoping I will not get stuck in my driveway which has not been plowed yet. It is a beautiful day today so once I get out of here the roads should be good. I've got the whole weekend off so will be heading to the Cities on Sat. and joining in on Sat. morning breakfast with my Mom and sisters.
    Dan and I just booked a trip to Ecuador in March! We had to use up our frequent flyer miles (but didn't have enough for Europe or South Africa)! I'm really looking forward to going to Ecuador though!
    Well, I gotta run. Have a great weekend!
    Love,
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete