Monday, December 6, 2010

HeCTiC


This week has been absolutely crazy.  Monday, we had the opportunity to visit a township school.  Due to the school being at end of term, most classes weren’t in session.  Students came to get a meal and have a place to be, but most teachers were just marking.  We were able to see one class; Grade R was in session.  Grade R is like our Kindergarten.  There were only 15 students in the class that day, but she has 40 students on her class list.  It was interesting to see the school.   Wednesday we had our class party at my cooperating teacher’s house.  Her house is absolutely gorgeous.  She has a pool, so the students swam and played games and ate snacks.  Wednesday evening we had the Grade 7 Leavers Dinner.   This is the goodbye dinner to the students of Grade 7 for high school starts at Grade 8.  Also at this Leavers Dinner, new students and teachers are “knighted” into Kingswood College, so the other student teachers and I were knighted.  It was awesome!  Thursday was the last day of school and we had an end of the school year staff meeting and then lunch at the Headmaster’s house.  It was nice spending that time with the other teachers and also it gave us the opportunity to say goodbye to everyone.  Thursday evening we had our traditional goodbye dinner for April, Nichole, and I with our supervisor and her family.  We made chicken fajitas and they were delicious!  It is unbelievable that our time here is coming to an end.

Friday morning we headed for our two week vacation!  We started off by stopping in PE for breakfast; we had “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”.  After PE we headed to Jeffrey’s Bay and laid out at the beach and then went to Storm’s River and went to Tsitsikama.  It has been one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.  We had a gorgeous view of the ocean and mountains.  We stayed by Storm’s river at a very interesting backpacker’s place.  Saturday morning we went back to Storm’s River at Bloukrans Bridge.  This is Africa’s largest bridge and the World’s Highest Bungee Jump.  Nichole and I joined another girl from her school back home (a COST student placed in PE) and we Bungee Jumped! It was absolutely the craziest thing I have ever done.  It is the most surreal experience.  I was absolutely petrified, but I am so glad I did it!  I have a CD of pictures and a DVD of my jump!  After bungee jumping we went to Plettenberg Bay to the beach and then headed to Oudtshoorn.  This is where we spent Saturday night.  On Sunday we went to Cango Caves, and went on the adventure tour where we crawled through the cave, it was absolutely gorgeous.  After Cango caves we went to Cango Ostrich farm.  Oudtshoorn has the most ostrich I have ever seen.  At the Ostrich farm we learned a lot about Ostriches and Nichole and I rode an Ostrich!   After Oudtshoorn we headed to Paarl where our friend Maryke lives.  Maryke is the one who is driving us to Cape Town, she has been absolutely amazing!  We are having the best time!  I will try to blog again soon!


This is my supervisor, Jean!


Tsitsikamma National Park, absolutely GORGEOUS!


Plettenberg Bay


Road Trippin'


Cango Caves


Hanging out with the Ostrich - this isn't the one I rode - I don't have pics of that yet


The bridge I jumped off! CRAZY!


Right before I bungeed! He was so nice in making me relax!


Oh my, I still can't believe I did that!

There are SOOO many more pictures I would like to post, but I can't because there are too many!  Traveling is so great! We just arrived in Cape Town!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I can't believe you went bungee jumping, that's crazy. I did not expect that from you. I got to admit it does look like fun! The ocean looks beautiful. Sorry I missed you on skype. I should have added you sooner so we could have syped over the weekend. I am glad you are taking lots of pics. Too bad you can't put them all up. I can't wait to see them when you get back. Not much going on at home. The boys are doing better at daycare. I am super excited I am getting lasik on the 17th. Super nervous and excited. Can't wait to hear more about your travels. I hope you get internet access again this week. Cain says "I miss you and I love you." Blake says "I miss you and I love you, cha cha cha."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Leah! Isn't that Dangerous??? You are a Very Brave Woman!!! Now I believe there is nothing you can't do! Everything else should seem easier than the World's Highest Bungee Jump!!!
    You are just having too much fun over there in South Africa!!! Life in Minnesota might just never be quite the same!
    Love your photos! Have a Blast Traveling and Be Careful!!!
    Love Ya!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  3. HP wow! You go girly! I am glad you decided to do that, even though I think that's crazy! Rick is uber jealous because he wants to bungee jump so bad! he wants me to do it too (ha snort), maybe you could go in my place now that you're a pro! I love the pictures and I'm glad you're having a great time! Can't wait to see your video! Love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Leah, OMG! Totally amazing! Bet your Mom's glad she didn't know about your bungee jump till it was over. Joe's says, "Leah's crazy!" :) Beaches, caves, ostriches... plus all the history and info you're learning - you'll just have to give us all a presentation! MN's goin' to be PRETTY BORING after all this. You'll just have to start planning your next adventure abroad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leah,

    Freak out! You actually JUMPED from highest
    bungee jump in the WORLD!!! Thanks for sending
    the photos. Sweet :) Glad you got photos ---
    "You did it!" Too scarry for me !!!
    You will be 'jumping for joy' of another kind
    when you get back in MN. We got SO much snow. Your Mom told me today, she can barely see your car under all the snow. You will be trading your swim suit for snow pants & a hooded parka. Ice picks & scrappers come in very handy
    here. It will be a White Christmas :) A joyous one for the family when you get home.
    Safe travels & God bless you.
    Aunt Janet

    ReplyDelete