Friday, December 17, 2010

Back to the good ole' US of A

Let's be real.  The time I have spent here in South Africa has been overall a POSITIVE experience with great memories.  Now, does that mean I have ONLY had positive experiences? Absolutely not.  There were times when i have been challenged culturally, socially, academically, mentally, and the list could go on.  All of these experiences, however, needed to happen in order for me to get the most out of my time here.  I needed to go out of my comfort zone, and what better way to do that than go to a new country with such a unique culture.  Through this experience I have learned the following:

* People are people no matter where you are

* Not to give up on trusting people, but as a tourist - always play a little bit of defense

* If something bad happens - allow one day to be down about it, but then MOVE ON - it happened and you can't go back, keep moving forward

* Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and listen

* Confidence is a strength if you have it and a growth area if you don't

* Just because it isn't the way I would do it, doesn't mean it's not as good or dare I say it - better

* Kids teach you as much as you teach them

* When you go into the unknown in order to step outside your comfort zone, it is surprising how quickly the unknown can become "comfortable"

* I am not sure I will ever truly understand the racial tension and the living situation here, but being here has given me a better understanding and an even more open mind

* Creativity gets you FAR

* Riding a bus 14 hours makes me go CRAZY and CRABBY

* Ostrich meat tastes like hamburger

* Convert rand to USD, meters to miles, and understand grams/kg/litres/mL

* The Post Office here is not my friend, and I don't think I am their's either

* How to wave down a cab

* ....... how to face my fears, the unknown, and a different world

Thank You everyone that followed my blog! I am heading to the airport tomorrow morning!

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a wonderful experience! I can't wait to hear all about it! Safe travels! Cannot wait to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you WP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to hear you had such a great time and learned a lot. I am sorry your trip is over, but I can't wait for you to come home. We are also very excited to hear all about your trip and see your pics. I am glad you used this opportunity to learn new things and test your boundaries. I hope you get a chance to go back some day. I know I hope I get the chance to go bac to spain. Have a safe trip back. Don't forget to let mom know when you get to each layover place, so worries. haha Love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete