Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kingswood College, Cottage, Etc.


Well I 'skyped' Jenna and Mother today, and Mother told me I need to do this more often, so I will try.  The picture above is the view of Grahamstown, I wish cameras captured how beautiful the landscape is here, but I have yet to take a picture that even comes close.



Lauren received a box of Halloween stuff since she was teaching a lesson on Halloween, we used the stuff to decorate the flat! Happy Halloween :)  You're welcome Lauren for not putting up the picture of you in your sweet clown costume! haha



These are some pictures of the school building, the classroom doors lead to outside.  The building is two levels in the shape of a "T" The stem of the T is where the staff room, offices and work rooms are and the top of the T is where all of the classrooms are.  It is a beautiful school, this is only the Junior Prep school, the Senior school (high school) is across the road.  



This is what my classroom looks like! The classroom has no technology (no computer, no projector, no overhead) and the desks are wooden and from the looks of it, it probably looks like a low-income school compared to some of the schools back home, but this is a very nice school and well-off school, for it is a private boarding school.  

My week went by extremely fast.  On Thursday I taught a food tech class where I taught them how to make fruit pizza, the kids loved it, and no one had heard of it before! So that was neat.  On Friday I taught a lesson on comparative adjectives, I noticed that my teaching strategies the students are not use to and students are not sure what to do.  When working in AMERY (HELLO MRS. HANSEN, CODY, SHANIA, MASON, GRACE, GRETA, MARTIN, HAILEY, MARIAH, RYLEE, TANNER, NATASHA, DYLAN, ESSIE, CAMERON, GABBI, ANTON, MADDISEN, BRETT, CASSEY, CELIA, AND TYLER! I Miss all of you!!!!!) anyways, when working in Amery, Mrs. Hansen had the students call on each other (which I loved as a strategy as well as having students say a new vocabulary word five times) well I used this strategy with the students, and they had never been asked to call on their classmates before, so there was definitely confusion.  The more I do it, the better it will go though!  Other than that the lesson went really well and I teach a lot next week, so I have a lot of lesson plans to write! Hope all is well back home, comment on this with updates from home so I am not out of the loop!

3 comments:

  1. What a good daughter! I check EVERY DAY for updates. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cain, Blake, Bubbi and I love the pictures!!! Not much going on here. We went to swimming lessons today. Cain and Blake swim like fish, Bubbi is still scared of the water. Work is still boring. I got the pics of the boys from kiddie kandids and posted them on facebook. My icon pic is one of them. I also got there school pics. They all turned out really good. Blake is going to be the black iron man from iron man 2 and Cain is going to be a bakugan. Not really know what that it, some tv show they watch. Bubbi is going to be Ralph from the turtles. The 3 boys say "HI" and Bubbi also says "Chix Chix". Not sure what that means, but that's what he wanted to say to Leah. The boys are doing better at KC. Other than needing a few reminders on stuff they are fighting less and hitting less. I am enjoying the pics and hearing about your trip. Good Luck with the lessons plans. Love Dana, Cain, Blake and Bubbi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I got to talk to you on Skype! It was nice to see your pretty face and it was fun to talk about FRIENDS. We will need to do a marathon when you get home!

    I love the pictures! Gosh it looks so beautiful there! Lucky!

    Let me know when you would like to skype next, maybe I can get dad to talk to you on the computer too! lol dang I'm a funny girl!

    Love you
    xoxo
    WP

    ReplyDelete